The instruction sheet listed these instructions: "Bring 80 9" dark squares and eight 9" light squares -- we're going to make a scrap quilt!"
For a control nut like me, it was very scary going into a class without having any idea what the end result would look like.
A "scrap quilt" could be anything . . .
Who else would be there?
Would they bring good fabrics"
What if the colors weren't okay?
I didn't need to worry. Catherine was a patient and inspirational instructor. Judy and Carol were terrific classmates. The opportunity to lose myself in the process and the colors and the exercise in being random was wonderful. And we would return to the Folk School for classes again and again.
[Intriguing Triangles class - John C. Campbell Folk School, Brasstown NC, May 2004]
Catherine's Quilt shown above hanging at the 2005 Mid-South Fair. I entered it in the "First Quilt" category since it was the first start to finish quilt I had made (I even managed to do stitch in the ditch quilting on this generous lap quilt, although I knew then the quilting would never be my favorite activity).
Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------
"In the stillness of the quiet, if we listen, we can hear the whisper of the heart giving strength to weakness, courage to fear, hope to despair."
(Howard Thurman)
1 comment:
It's beautiful to behold! The coming together of a humble scrap from here, from there, combining to create this absolutely lovely visual treasure!
Post a Comment