Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Ooltewah (Tetris Road)


In November, we travelled to the John C. Campbell Folk School ~ there were no quilting classes that week, so I enrolled in an embroidery class hoping to re-kindle the crazy quilt spark that was first lit by my great-great-grandmother's quilt. The class was all about trying lots and lots of different stitches and threads but we were confined to the enameling studio which was NOT conducive to the work we were doing so many of us spent portions of our class time outdoors.


On our drives there and back, I was struck by the scenery and vowed to make a quilt to commemorate those moments . . . warm afternoon sun through the car windows, the mountains of North Carolina . . . the Ocoee running alongside the narrow, twisting road . . . and trees aglow with color that saturates the soul . . .


This quilt was gifted to my brother-in-law at Christmas.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We've driven the road through the Occoee Gorge and that place is gorgeous!

The colors in that quilt remind me of our Fall drive...

Twisted Quilts said...

I just looked up the John Campbell Folk School. This sounds very interesting. I might have to see if I can get there soon. Thanks for letting us know about this place.