
My sister's rescued Sunbonnet Sue quilt hanging at the 2006 Mid-South Fair.

This is what my sister's tired, worn childhood comforter looked like when she loaned it to me to rescue. After removing the yellow yarn ties, I cut through the tissue thin sashings to separate the squares appliqued long ago by our maternal grandmother, Elsie Race Walton. Then came the slow process of unstitching each Sue from her muslin background.

Next came hours and hours and hours of stitching narrow strips of reproduction fabrics to create filler blocks. During the same time period, I carefully hand appliqued each of the rescued Sues to a new background square.

Finally the completed top was handed off to my long arm quilty friend, Chris, who incorporated her version of McTavishing as fill for the backgrounds around each Sue. Many long hours later, the beautiful, newly-restored quilt was gifted to my sister for Christmas 2005.
5 comments:
What treasured memories this quilt hold for you and your sister.
So glad you shared that. My grandmother did so many quilts using that pattern.
gives a whole new meaning to recreating the past. so lovely and special.
Just made clicked on the link in your bird quilt post. I am not a great fan of Sue but she sure looks wonderful on this remade quilt. Wonderful job.
I too have followed the link from your Birds quilt and what a delightful find. Your rescued Sun Bonnet Sues are a treasure. What a treasure...again.
Post a Comment