Wednesday, March 10, 2010

More Summer 2006 Projects

During the summer of 2006, while I was working at an insurance defense law firm, the father of a co-worker passed away. The family couldn’t bear to throw away Oble’s ties, so I was drafted to create pillows for his widow and their nine children/grandchildren.

I left the ties intact, laying one alongside another atop a muslin backing, and used the fancy stitch features of my Bernina to secure the edges. The resulting “fabric” was then cut into squares and, finally, bound pillow covers.

My co-worker purchased the pillow forms and, a few weeks later, this group of memory-laden pillows was the result.



That same summer, two other co-workers at that law firm (our receptionist and the wife of an attorney whose office was across the hall from my desk) had beautiful baby girls. These quilts were created for Miss Quinn and Miss Alayna.


3 comments:

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

...and the fun hasn't stopped since! These are wonderful mementos from days gone by, thanks for sharing your quilting history.

Nancy said...

Thanks for describing how you created the pillows. I wondered if you had cut them.

The baby quilts are wonderful, too, so cheery and colorful.

I simply love seeing your projects!

Barb said...

What a wonderful "gift" for your coworker. I did a series of quilts for a customer who's mother had passed. They included quilts for her dad, both her kids as well as one for her.

Love love love the colorful quilts for the twins. I just may have to steal that idea. What a great way to use up some smaller pieces I have.