My grandmother,
Elsie Race Walton,
pieced this quilt top.
Along the way,
my mother turned the flimsy into a comforter
stuffed with polyester fiberfill batting
and tied with acrylic yarn.
After the quilt moved to my house,
I gently removed all those yarn ties,
unstitched the binding
and discarded the aging batting and muslin back.
The flimsy was gently laundered
before I added a narrow inner border
and a wider floral outer border.
The project was then handed off to Chris ~
but we later decided
it was more than she wanted to deal with.
In the end, Elsie's Broken Dishes was quilted
by Bonnie Hunter of Quiltville.
She graciously coped with the
extra border fullness
and slightly askew flimsy
to create what I call one of my rescue quilts.
Baptist Fans were the one and only choice for quiliting.
Who knew growing up that my staid and proper
English grandmother
had such a scrappy-colorful inner self.
What a treasure.


2 comments:
Yes that is a true treasure.
A priceless treasure at that. Thank you for sharing.
Post a Comment