Monday, June 8, 2009

My First Real Quilt

From January through April 2004, I took the Beginning Machine Piecing class with Patty W. at one of our local quilt shops.  Patty literally taught me how to use a self healing mat, rotary cutter, and a 1/4" foot (long before I had the Bernina I use now).  These colors were bold for me (taking this class was  in response to a direct challenge by my therapist to help counter my long-term depression).  It was a real challenge to work 8-5 at the college, drive home, grab my gear, and be at the shop by 6; but I did it week after week, loving almost every moment.

To tell you how little I knew, once I had completed the top, I bravely spray basted with batting and backing ~ and then lost my nerve.  The only source I had locally for machine quilting was through another local quilt shop where there was a six month lead time.  Oh, did my ears burn when the long arm quilter in Arkansas received my spray basted nonsense. . .  but she did a beautiful job.

These photos were taken very recently, as I hadn't yet started using digital to capture my quilts for posterity.  

And I even used an orphan (rejected) block for a label  (the handwritten info has faded with use and laundering) ... they tried so hard to teach me the 'right' way to do things!

While the quilt was away in Arkansas, I wrote the following:

The sampler quilt top was my very first successful attempt at piecing a real quilt.  It represents SO much more than meets the eye ... and the parallels between life and quilting continue to astound me.

Sometimes our steps lead us up; full of hope and optimism, while other ties our steps lead us down from discouragement and exhaustion ~ up or down, so much depends on our perception (represented by the rail fence blocks).

Sometimes life is a neat and tidy unit, well organized and meaningful (log cabin blocks), while other times it seems to be going off in all directions (flying geese).

Sometimes it feels like we are just spinning in the wind (pinwheel) but other times we can be very focused and predictable (square in a square).

Even though we are always cared for by those who nurture us (friendship star), sometimes we are run over by our painful and jagged emotions (sawtooth star).

Sometimes we are able to juggle the multiple facets of our busy lives (ohio star) but other times we are able only to manage the absolute basics (four patch).

In life we must never stop learning (school house) or we lose sight of our true inner selves (lemoyne star).

Looking at life as a whole, it can seem to be a hodgepodge of unrelated bits and pieces BUT the truth of Romans 8:28 shines through.  God really can work all things together for the good of those who love Him and are called to His purpose.  This great truth is symbolized by the borders and binding which unify the quilt and help it to serve its purpose.

Quiltdivajulie

1 comment:

Nancy said...

I like the idea of having an online quilt journal. I can never get motivated to update the spiral one that I started. Thanks for the inspiration. :o)

Your sampler quilt is lovely.