Saturday, June 5, 2010

New Crayons

"Everyone is born creative:  everyone is given a box of crayons in kindergarten.  Then, when you hit puberty, they take your crayons away and replace them with books on algebra, etc.  Being suddenly hit, years later, with the creative bug is just a wee voice telling you, "I'd like my crayons back, please." 
(Hugh Macleod)


Near the end of 2006/beginning of 2007, I was still a bit hesitant with my machine quilting, so using the glittery holographic threads were a real stretch for me.  I love their sparkle and the thrill of excitement each time the light catches the lines "just so."


Rachel Roggel, aka "The Button Lady," inspired my use of buttons on this quilt.  (www. roggel.com)  And I learned to use Hot Fix crystals, too.

I chose only flat, sew-thru buttons so I could use multiple colors of embroidery floss and leave the fuzzy, irregular ends showing.  I wanted the texture of the frayed ends as a counterpart to the regular, solid shapes of the buttons.


There is a subtle rhythm to the colors and their placement, but they also appear deliberately random.  As Jimmy Buffet sings it, "I don't want that much organization in my life . . . I want my Junior Mints!"

I've inhaled so many books and articles on embellished quilts ~ it was finally time to make my very own ART quilt.

-----

"Most of a woman's depressions, ennui, and wandering confusions are caused
by a severely restricted soul-life in which innovation, impulse,
and creation are restricted." 
(Christina Pinkola Estes)

3 comments:

Twisted Quilts said...

I love your quote at the end. I do not have the confidence to try glittery threads. I did some free motion quilting a couple of years ago and got really discouraged so I switched to straight line quilting. I recently saw a quilt that I had done and thought it was better than I thought it was at the time. Yes I want my crayons back!

The Calico Cat said...

Love all the buttons!

*karendianne. said...

Oh Julie,

You have such talent and seeing this hanging is paradise!